If I have to be honest, a chocolate chip cookie made from scratch… has got to be one of my favorite snacks in the world! When I have the time, I truly enjoy baking them and I am always prepared for the opportunity by keeping the ingredients on hand and ready to go at moments notice. Getting to use my KitchenAid mixer, licking the bowl and the amazing smell that fills my home as they are baking… priceless. I wasn’t raised with a secret family recipe that was passed down from generation to generation, but I was raised on the classic chocolate chip cookie recipe that can be conveniently found on the back of a bag of chocolate chips… and to this day it is still my favorite! The recipe is convenient, simple and easy to follow and DELICIOUS!
Disclaimer: Please know that I am not an expert or a certified chef, nor do I have a cooking show, but I want to share with you the few changes, additions and secrets I use to make every cookie I make, taste even better!
:: My SECRET RECIPE to the Perfect Cookie… 9 Baking Tips & Tricks ::
1.Always add extra Pure Vanilla Extract. In my mind a few splashes more than the recipe calls for, is only adding to the delicious taste of your cookie. If the recipe calls for 1 teaspoon I will add at least 1/2 teaspoon more.
2. Room Temperature Butter. When you know you are going to bake, take your butter out of the fridge an hour before. Actual room temperature butter works so much better than microwaving your butter right before use. The butter temperature is a crucial part to the consistency of your cookie.
3. Add Pure Almond Extract to your recipe. I add a teaspoon or two of almond to just about every desert I bake. I love the flavor it brings out.
4. When all else fails, add candy! To add an extra flavor to your cookie recipe, throw in a fun flavored chip or candy. My favorite is the addition of Mini M&Ms. You can either keep to the recipe and substitute some of the chocolate chips that the recipe calls for, or just add to it – it’s your call!
5. Mix your dough with a mixer! The KitchenAid Mixer really does smooth out the batter and mix the ingredients together well. Don’t get lazy, bring out your mixer. I am always happy I did when I see how thorough of a job it does, and it truly is easier to clean than a hand-held mixer.
6. Get rid of the spoon and use a cookie dough scoop. If you like all of your cookies to be the same size and shape, then you want to use a cookie dough scoop. It keeps your hands clean, speeds up the process and gives your cookies a uniform look. I don’t know why I waited so long to get one. Here is my favorite one, it comes in three sizes to choose from. I use the medium size most often. Click HERE.
7. The best spray for baking. I always lightly spray down my cookie sheets and I have found and fallen in love with the Pam – No-Stick Cooking Spray with Flour. It is perfect for baking and really makes it easy to clean the cookie sheet after baking.
8.Lay your cookies to cool on Wax Paper. I have used drying racks, setting the cookies on platters, etc. But, I have found wax paper to be the easiest to use; it keeps your counters clean and it also comes in handy if you would like to layer your cookies in travel containers once they have cool.
9. Flatten your cookies. Right after you pull your golden brown cookies out of the oven, flatten them with the bottom of your spatula. If you are like me and you do not like a puffy cake-style cookie, do this to keep them thin and full.
Question: Do you have a favorite baking secret that you would like to share??? Comment below, I am always amazed at other creative ideas!
Happy Baking and don’t forget to enjoy the fruits of your labor or in my case the COOKIE!
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, I will make a small commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free. Thank you!